Thursday, May 21, 2009

Miss Blogger Goes To Washington


Well folks, I'm headed back down to my hometown this week for the wedding of a few friends, which means I'll be too far from my stove to cook or post. I will however, be taking in a baseball game, a barbecue, and hopefully some of my favorite local food, and reporting back on any exciting culinary wonders that I encounter. And trust, me, if you've never had a half-smoke, (the best hot dog on Earth) you have one more thing to experience in the way of culinary wonders. In the meantime, the weather will be fabulous here on the east coast (and from what I hear, most everywhere), so get yourself to a farmers market and check out what this lovely season has to offer. And for a better idea of what to look for, check out my recent story for The Daily Green, here, for more on what seasonal goodies are creeping up at the farmers market, along with tips on how to store them.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone, and for the love of god, get thyself to a barbecue!

-Laura

2 comments:

Jen said...

I've been following your blog for a while now but never commented. What do you recommend for some "great local food" in DC? We're going to DC this weekend for a wedding as well and I'd love to hear about some local favs to hit up.

Laura said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for commenting! If you want to go classic DC, definitely visit Ben's Chili Bowl for a half smoke (my mom and I like chili cheese ones). And for great seafood, visit the wharf on the Maine Street Pier for oysters, crawfish, and fresh Maryland crabs, cooked right there.

And for great tapas, Jaleo is a wonderful choice, approved by this very picky Spaniard. It's owned by Jose Andres, probably DC's most high profile chef, and a great representative of Spanish cuisine. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more suggestions!